25 SEO Tips to help optimise your website.
If you wish to optimise your website for the major search engines, then these 25 tips are a great place to start.
Before you begin, you need to know the following:
- What you’re site is about
- What the purpose is
- How committed you are
Once you’ve settled on those three things, then it’s time to get to work.
1. Don’t confuse Google and don’t confuse your customers, present a clear and concise brand message.
2. Content quality is your primary onsite SEO consideration. Add new, useful content to your pages on a regular basis. Content freshness adds relevancy to your site in the eyes of the search engines.
3. For link building, quality is more important than quantity. One single, good, authoritative link can do a lot more for you than a dozen poor quality links.
4. For keywords, user intent is a major consideration.
5. URL Structure Should Be Short, Descriptive and Help to Categorise Your Website.
6. Be sure you have a unique, keyword focused Title tag on every page of your site.
7. SEO is not a one-shot process, expect to work on your optimisation daily. The search landscape changes daily, so expect to work on your optimisation daily.
8. Fresh content will help improve your rankings – develop a relevant blog.
9. Content is king, so be sure to have good, well-written, and unique content that will focus on your primary keyword or keyword phrase.
10. If content is king, then links are queen. Build a network of quality backlinks. Remember, if there is no good, logical reason for a site to link to you, you don’t want the link.
11. Use keywords and key phrases appropriately in text links, image ALT attributes and even your domain name.
12. Got a new website you want spidered? Submitting through Google’s regular submission form can take weeks. The quickest way to get your site crawled is by getting a link to it through another quality site.
13. If you are on a shared server, do a blacklist check to be sure you’re not on a proxy with a spammer or banned site. Their negative notoriety could affect your own rankings.
14. Make sure your site is easy to use. This can influence your link building ability and popularity and, thus, your ranking.
15. SEO is useless if you have a weak or non-existent call to action. Make sure your call to action is clear and present.
16. Links from a high PageRank site are golden. High PR indicates high trust, so the back links will carry more weight.
17. Understand that Social Media is part of SEO, the more active you are on these platforms the better for your SEO.
18. Add viral components to your web site or blog – reviews, sharing functions, ratings, visitor comments, etc.
19. Use keywords in your images. Include words that reflect your site topic in the image title, description, and alt attributes.
20. Use Googles Keyword Planner. This is great for generating ideas for keywords and seeing how competitive they are.
21. Set up a Google Local listing. This is free, and an easy way to increase your presence in local search results.
22. Optimise your website for mobile and tablet devices. Google is focusing heavily on mobile optimisation, adding text and labels to mobile search results to indicate those sites which are ‘mobile-friendly’. You need to provide the best mobile experience you can for users.
23. Ensure your images have alt tags on them and include keywords (naturally) in the filename.
24. Think about UX. Google is increasingly focusing on things which affect the user experience when ranking sites – mobile optimisation, site speed and so on. Making your site easy to use is not only good for your customers (and sales) but also helps with your SEO efforts.
25. If you decide to outsource your SEO work to an agency then use a Google Partner agency. The Google Partner badge recognises companies that excel with Google’s products. Their businesses are healthy, their customers are happy and they use Google best practices.
To learn more about our Search Engine Optimisation service visit the SEO Solihull page